Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

7 or 9 weeks

I've got my calendar marked up with what 'week' of fetal development we're at.  Of course I have two numbers. The 'real' number and the 'standard use' number.  So, I'm at 7 or 9 weeks. 7 actual weeks (or so) of growth and 9 of 40 weeks along.
Baby looks something like this - I love the hand for perspective. And this is a model, not what a fetus actually looks like.
(source: http://www.firstscience.com/home/photos/life-8-weeks_11.html)

Adorable, but not as cuddly as a baby.
Still dealing with 24/7 nausea.  And the newly acquired stash of candy and chips is an evil temptation. Especially the potato chips.
Which is why I just popped some perogies in the oven. (Marginally better...)
Before I leave for childcare I'll prepare another bowl of Kale and Avocado raw salad. mmmmmmm. I still swear it's the best thing I got from my (short lived) raw diet. Just kale massaged with sea salt and lemon juice, with chunks of avocado. (Stems ripped off of the kale of course to keep the leafy goodness.)

Abi and I were looking through some scrapbooks today. Marion's (her grandma) and her own baby books (one is a scrapbook, the other a more traditional baby book.)  It reminded me that I should probably start tracing the growth of my belly soon.
First pregnancy (Abi) growth at 34 weeks.
I like what I did for my first pregnancy. I think it's a lovely piece of art now featured in Abi's scrapbook.  Emphasis on it can fit in a scrapbook. As much as I love the series of pictures some people take, and belly casts, I think this single rainbow is simpler and easier to look at later.  I simply taped the paper (with painter tape so it wouldn't leave a mark after 8 months) to the wall at a corner, then would stand with my back at the same place and trace.  Of course it's not entirely accurate, but close enough.
There are old posts about this art starting here,and here, and here, and here.

Also, I need to start considering another baby book. I'd had Abi's since I was a young teen. Yes, I saw that flower fairies baby booked and bought it for my distant future.  I love the book and I think it had a lot of good sections, but there are parts I improved upon and things I had no interest/need to fill in. I've often thought of designing my own baby book. I've chatted with friends about their art for it - since I'm no artist. And clearly I stalled on that within the last 3 years. My design and content would be more holistic. It wouldn't assume things such as having a hospital birth with a doctor. Or an end to nursing within so-many WEEKS - listed as an early 'achievement'.  It would have more space for the first year of celebrations. For naming and community ceremonies, for first winter, first spring, first autumn, etc. For baby on the go (preferably to feature baby wearing, but not necessarily), and for the usual things such as crawling and rolling and steps, but adding cruising.  And there are things I'd certainly add to my own book - such as use of a potty...
Yep, without a baby book already in my possession, I think the next baby book will be my own creation using a scrapbook binding. I'll prepare the pages in advance (soon...) so I know what I want to keep note of.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed