Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Nostalgia

I never thought I'd see the day when NKOTB reunited. From all previous reports, it was never going to happen. Nevertheless, here they are - going on tour in September with a new album. I only just caught the news by chance... MSN messenger window flashed a video clip about Ellen getting married and as I watched that ET (or some similar show) clip I learned of the reunion. Off to YouTube I went to see more clips and their May 16 performances on Today Show.

If I had the money to spare I would seriously consider trying to get a ticket to the added concert in Toronto. The first date sold out in 4 minutes. Can you imagine - an arena full of 30 year old women trying to recapture their youth with pop music. Okay, so an arena full of screaming women would be really annoying (I recall it being annoying when I saw NKOTB in Montreal many many years ago as a kid). What I've heard of the new album didn't impress me either, but then, I'm not a fan of pop music anymore.

I wonder who will study this phenomenon - of 80s and early 90s kids revisiting their pop youths at a concert... someone is bound to study it. I hope. So many angles you could take sociologically, performance studies, fan culture... If there's a religious angle maybe I should encourage my former supervisor Dr. Jennifer Porter to study it :) I really don't see a religious angle to nkotb though. But I'd be interested if someone else did and wrote about it...

Maybe I'll go dig out some of my old nkotb stuff... hell, if I ever wanted to profit from it, now would be the time to sell it on e-bay...
Anybody want to buy a framed picture - original brass frame with glass! - that is actually hanging on the basement wall of my parent's house. Oh, yes there is an NKOTB picture on the wall. It was found in the basement by someone at a party many years ago and hung as a joke. Over the years it has endured all sorts of things... such as people licking icing off of it... And unlike the stars that hung from the ceiling for many years after my space-themed party, the picture is still hanging.
I also have a cardigan, books, CDs... I think I did get rid of most of it many years ago. Damn. I could be making a tidy profit. ;)

Seriously, V, we should sell that picture. At least let's post it and see what we can get! Mwhahaha.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed