Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, May 05, 2008

The Business of Being Born

This is, in my not so humble opinion, a must-see film for anyone who will have a baby.
http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/

You can see the film here:
http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=45525

Abbie agrees with me.

I laughed when the midwife spoke of "a rock and a hard place" - because I remember that feeling all too well. Contractions hurt, but if you don't allow them to come on, you'll be in labour forever... I remember telling my midwives, obstinately, that *I* don't want contractions to come more often! And later I remember finding every possible position I could to bring them on more quickly, on top of one another, so I could finally see my baby.
This film brings back many wonderful memories.

My only critique of the film would be in its lack of a good portryal of breastfeeding and post-partum support. I noticed that the filmmaker was bottle feeding at the end. Of course, I don't know the circumstances because these are not discussed in the film, but I did notice when they showed her BFing her premie boy she was having difficulty and she later mentions she had difficulty with BFing. Where was her midwife or a lactation consultant? I would have liked to have seen something addressing how mothers and babies are cared for by midwives and other support women in the weeks after birth - an acknowledgement that this community of support is also a part of birth; women don't have to do it alone. (BFing=breastfeeding)

I almost forgot the obligatory picture!
Abigail_April 148

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed