Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Four Year Program

Four years ago there were a lot of new beginnings.
Robin and I were married.
We moved to K-W.
I began working on my PhD.
And the Laurier-Waterloo PhD in Religious Studies started.
Myself and five others were the first cohort (guinea pigs). Within two years we were down to four. Four candidates expected to finish the program in four years.

Today the first of our cohort successfully defended her dissertation and is, for all intents and purposes, done!
Congratulations to Joanne Benham-Rennick for showing us it CAN be done.
A mother of two, returning to school after many years, can complete a PhD program in 4 years. Children aside, it's remarkable when anyone finishes a Humanities/Social Sciences PhD in 4 years, especially when field work and interviews are involved! Last I heard the AVERAGE is 7 years.
In addition, this marked an important milestone for the program - our first graduate. Many faculty members and candidates were in attendance for this momentus occasion.

As for myself, I won't be finishing in four years. I'm aiming for 5 and a half. So long as I'm done by age 30 (2 years from now). I will be returning to full time studies this September, but I've already started picking up my theory books and getting back into my dissertation mindset. I intend to get back to interviews this summer as well.


And here is Abbie today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And most importantly, don't let anyone tell you it can't be done just because you have kids. My mother had a full time job, raised three kids and maintained a whole household, and managed to get her BA, then MA part time. I realize there is a difference, but I'm just trying to say I have the utmost confidence you CAN do it!
Darn that Abbie for being so CUTE!! :) Hope you get a chance to enjoy the sunshine today!

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed