Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, February 11, 2008

Celebratory Weekend

What a fabulous weekend I've had!!
It all began Saturday afternoon with a beautiful baby shower for a friend, Shannon, having twins. And by beautiful I am not just refering to the event or the pregnancy or the glowing woman (and husband) opening gifts. The home and decorations and nursery were gorgeous. Admittedly, I was feeling envious. I was happy to be a part of their baby shower and I loved that it was "stag and doe" with men and women in attendance. The men seemed to enjoy themselves equally. Certainly the husband did!

Saturday evening we celebrated Sherri's 30th birthday with a surprise party in her home. It was a lot of fun and I even managed to stay out until 11pm!! (I took a nap between events.)


Pretzels divine that there is a baby inside!

The faery mask Sherri gifted to Babyz

Sunday afternoon was my baby shower / women's celebration. It was beautiful. I was holding back tears a few times. My friends gifted babyz with tokens of their blessings sealed in a (baby) bottle. At the end they chanted around me to lend their community support to the pregnancy. And they all took home candles to be lit when I go into labour. In the middle there was good conversation, tasty food, and of course adorable gifts.

I love these cloth and wooden toys!! I'm imagining the organic cotton bunny doll could be her special friend :) I'd bring that bunny everywhere!!

I really love and appreciate all the gifts. And I especially appreciate that my preferences were respected - there was no plastic/battery toys and many organic items. Mother Earth and I are very grateful. Although I loved everything, I think one gift in particular deserves special mention. It's the one I almost cried over and was the first I opened: a homemade quilt with handdrawn squares put together by Sherri and Kare'. In the center square is a special personalized baby blessing. Saturday afternoon I had been thinking how wonderful it would be to know someone who quilts, because my friend received a lovely handmade quilt. My mom is slowly getting into quilting, but it will be a long time before we see anything... I think this contributed to my delight upon receiving a handmade quilt. There were several more wonderful soft blankets received too and I look forward to wrapping baby in all of them!! I envision many happy hours of cuddling.

A HUGE thank you to all the wonderful women who joined me yesterday in celebrating this pregnancy. So you are aware, there will be a community celebration to greet the baby in mid-April.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed