Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, September 14, 2009

Divided

Abi didn't want to wake up this morning. 8am and 8:30 attempts were greeted with a clear "NO!" as Abi rolled over again and went back to sleep. By 9am I was starting to dress her in her sleep in preparation of having to get her out of bed to take her to daycare. By the time I was done dressing her, she was less cranky about the whole thing. I was afraid she'd subsequently cling to me once we arrived at daycare, but instead she reached for J, the daycare provider, who she's never met before, and that was it. She was gone from my arms and happily exploring the new surroundings (and so many new toys!) I had to leave her breakfast so that she could eat it later because, of course, she was far too busy to eat!
Soonafter, I waved goodbye and left. Abi was too busy playing to pay much attention.
This is clearly more traumatic for me than her...

Got into the car and had to focus on calming myself. I had the oh-so-brilliant idea to swing by the university, pick up my old student course evaluations (submitted for a job application), and finally read my evals from last term - you know, to distract myself. That is, to redirect my anxieties away from Abi's absence towards criticism (and praise - but let's be honest, it's the criticisms that stand out).

So far it seems to have worked. I just got home and I'm not freaking out. Trying to center - and I think in order to be productive I will need to clean my office so I can actually find things again. Being able to move within my office would also be helpful.
[Not having to listen to a neighbour's kid drive around in an electric jeep would also be great. Yes, those things bother me - get a bike (he has one) and get some exercise! What are we teaching kids if we let them drive around in mini jeeps? Jeeps that can't even get over the lip into the driveway I might add.]

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed