Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oops...

I want to make a mattress for the co-sleeper because I don't like the thin thing that comes with it. I was originally going to try and find an eco-fiber my sister had seen at Walmart (of all places) that is made of corn and is akin to poly-fil stuffing. However, I can't find it anywhere. Then I saw that Len's Mill has raw cotton and I thought this would be a good natural alternative. So today I bought a bag of the cotton and a nice wool fabric (on sale) to make the mattress. Only then did I decide to do some online research to see if anyone has made similar mattresses... Stupid me. Cotton is apparently a poor choice for stuffing a mattress because it attracts dust mites, absorbs moisture (and then who knows what will grow...) and compresses (I was planning to account for that). Needless to say, I no longer think stuffing the mattress with this raw cotton is a good idea. Good thing I only paid $11. I'm sure I'll find a use for it for stuffing something.

Alternative: I suppose I could just layer the wool thickly... Yes, I know wool absorbs moisture too, but it has antibacterial qualities and I was already planning on a chemical-free mattress pad.


In other news - I took some photos of baby stuff to share today. First, here are most of the clothes I have already. I wanted to take a photo of how adorable they are before I stacked them all inside the co-sleeper. Today was a day of cleaning and organizing! The jean outfits in the top left are new today ;)
My favourite is still the soft pink sleeper with cat-earred hood. The yellow ducky sleeper on the right, from Corey, is equally soft, but it doesn't have a hood with cat ears!
(You can see a somewhat larger photo if you click on the image... I just discovered that.)
And here is my diapering collection so far. Obviously it's not extensive, but I'm just starting... My Fuzzi Bunz and the wool soakers I've knit in different styles. Plus the little legwarmers I made and the froggy sox.


Here's Darla and the stroller. I bet she wishes we were going on a walk right now... (We did go this evening.)

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed