Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Health

All this organ craziness (uterus-related stuff included - it's fine) has necessarily redirected me to focus on my health.  In particular, what I consume.  Now, I don't consume a whole lot of 'bad' stuff.  I mean, it takes me a good month to eat a dark chocolate bar and I rarely indulge in anything else.  We don't eat a lot of fast food (can't recall the last burger; did have pizza the other day), but I had become accustomed to a daily cup of coffee.  And I harass Robin all the time about not preparing enough vegetables (potatoes excluded) for our meals (yeah yeah, I could do it myself) - although we did enjoy cauliflower soup last night.  Abi helped prepare it.  She then told me it didn't have any vegetables in it! But corrected herself a few minutes later by adding that maybe it did have vegetables, but daddy pureed them.  So apparently that might be the key...  She did help with the pureeing and with putting in the small dollop of sour cream.  And since she helped, she could take pride in the meal. A handy toddler tactic ;)

Anywho, I'd already decided to cut back on refined sugars.  At least to not bake with them or add them to my coffee/tea.  Honey's just as good or better.  Now I'll cut back more on coffee - and not simply substitute with black tea.  I'll just have to have more vegetable 'cravings' too.  It worked the other day when I hinted I might have a craving for a stuffed roasted red pepper.  Later also got a stuffed squash. So my additional reminders seem to be paying off - that and Robin's knowing that growing a baby requires more than meat.  (Let me say that Robin really is a wonderful cook and works hard at it. He can make a meal from 'nothing' - at least, I'd say there was 'nothing' to eat if I looked in the cupboards and fridge. And if I was the cook and shopping we probably couldn't afford a house. Or, at least not all my yarn - harharhar.)

My naturopath prescribed the use of castor oil to reduce the cyst on my liver. Got a fresh new bottle since I discarded the old bottle from when Abi was a baby.  Or, I think I did. If not, I certainly should.  That castor oil was a life saver. It should be on every baby-supplies shelf.  Say farewell to tummy pains with a nice castor oil massage. (Make sure you know how to rub that belly in the proper direction - I find myself teaching a lot of moms young and old. How come this isn't basic training for new parents? #grumble) Anyhow, I'm sure the oil will get use with the new baby too.

Related to health, I'm diving back into the world of pregnancy and preparing for a baby with joy.  Time to brush up on some things - such as re-reading Birthing From Within.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Ahhh First trimester :) I'm glad to hear things are getting better. Naps are good!

Cheers
Grace

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed