Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, October 17, 2011

Mittens for You to Knit

I'm very excited to see my friend's mitten design in the new Interweave magazine Jane Austin Knits 2011. The lovely Anne can tell you all about her own design at her blog. Go look. And then choose your yarn. Or follow the links to see more from the magazine.
Her design was also featured on this morning's email issue of Knitting Daily - which is how I knew of the release.
I've been waiting with almost-as-much anticipation as Anne to see the final result. I remember when she started with an idea. Then a chart. And a swatch... And then acceptance from the magazine. Oh, and then the very short deadline to knit up the samples for the magazine. It's very exciting! You know, as a designer and knitter and friend. Not necessarily in that order.

Me, I'm knitting mittens too. Mine are simple mitts for Abi, but I am pleased with the yarn. It's my own handspun. Using up the bag of romni wool fibre I bought many years ago - for non-spinning purposes. I deliberately plied it loosely, but that was before I had plans for the yarn. It was Robin who suggested I make Abi new mittens. And to keep them warm, I'm using small needles (2.25mm). And the fluffy yarn is proving to be less-than-cooperative at times, but they are coming out lovely and warm. They're a little tight to get on, but she can fit her hand through the cuff. So they'll simply be nice and cozy tight to keep the wind out - and to keep them on!
Note how the barber-pole yarn transforms into beautiful fabric.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed