Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Spirits of the Earth

Abi and I enjoyed a wonderful weekend camping at the Spirits of the Earth festival just south of London, ON.
On Friday night we partook of the Medieval Feast and Bardic Competition. I was going to sing a song, but I also knew Abi would want to stay close as we'd only arrived on site recently. I suggested she might sing a song with me. Much to my surprise, she did! With a little help from the large tiger she wanted to pet, she and I sang Row Your Boat and Abi finished the song all by herself. Abi was rewarded with MardiGras necklaces - much to her delight. (As you can see, Abi and I didn't dress up this year. I entirely forgot to bring appropriate dress-up clothes. Abi at least had her Fairy Princess t-shirt on, complete with wings on the back. I wore my dragon scales shawl.)

Saturday was another hot day (common lately!) and we hid in the shade as much as possible. We only attended two workshops: the children's Maypole Dance and the Women's Ritual. We enjoyed both and I was pleased with Abi's good behaviour at the ritual, especially considering it was mid-afternoon and Abi did not nap. That night, however, she crashed hard. Earlier in the day she had made fast friends with another girl about 6 months younger. They both fell asleep around the ritual fire during the Dragon Ritual Drummers' performance. Abi crashed immediately, while her friend enjoyed dancing with her mom. As you can see, they were quite adorable. Of course they had to be posed with some local wildlife for dramatic effect. (There is more story behind the animals, but it's really too long to relate. You had to have been there.)

Later that evening, Abi did wake. And nursed more. Then we danced a little around the edge of the fire in my attempt to help her fall back asleep. Then she puked all over me... I'm sure it was my own fault for bouncing with a half-asleep, recently-nursed baby. Then it was bed time.

All in all, we had a great weekend. It was also our first time camping in a tent trailer as we stayed with a friend. Considering we had just missed the downpour and the ground was wet, I was grateful to not have to set up my tent. Abi got two stone goddesses. She selected them from all the ones available. Initially she said one was for me, but she is trying to claim them both now. I imagine she'll vacillate. When we returned home I cleared off her altar (since I was the one who had cluttered it) and my own so we could each have our special place.

Now, if only I can clear off my desk. And office floor. And dining room table...

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed