Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Published in a book


I can now say I have been published in a book.

Next time you visit I'll show you the photos of hats I knit featured in the book 1,000 Fabulous Knit Hats. I have 10 hats in it. You'll know mine because they either feature Abi or are witch hats (both in two cases).
It's a fun book and considering I got it at a reduced price as a contributor, I'm very happy with it. Reviews so far have been poor on Amazon, but that seems to be because a bunch of people who can't read actually expected the book to include 1000 patterns, despite the description.

To give an honest description, it's rather like a pretty scrapbook of 1000 projects. It's fun to flip through for inspiration, but it does have faults. I'm willing to overlook those only because I'm in it, as are several other local knitters. The project names are dull. The compiler should have solicited more interesting titles. She also should have included the name of the pattern in addition to the designer's name (provided by project submitters). Also, there are quite a few repetitive projects, mine included. After submitting the photos I never heard anything further until the book was published. I hadn't actually expected every photo to be included. I imagined she'd pick the ones that best suited the book/page. I also imagined I'd hear back about my submissions - for a title or such. I've heard some stories... but I'm not going to gossip here.

All in all, *I* like that a few of my projects were featured in a book. The next time someone asks me to knit them a hat, I'll hand over the book and tell them to choose a style. There is a lot of wonderful inspiration in the book. Clearly I need to knit more hats! It's a good thing Abi and I both love wearing hats.

1 comment:

Anniebeeknits said...

Eeeeeeeeee!!!

I can't wait to see the book.

It's certainly something different from the usual pattern book -- inspiration, not instruction. But those who were at the KW Guild Adjudicated Show with Anne Hanson/knitspot got a phenomenal statement of just how important inspiration can be. I'm looking forward to being inspired!

As for the communications, yes, I thought originally we'd be getting more feedback, but Annie did take over the project midstream, when it was already way behind schedule, and given everything else that happened in her life around that time, I'm mostly just amazed that the book made it to print. Everything beyond that is a bonus!

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed