Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Limpy and Lumpy

I may have to rename the cats Limpy and Lumpy. Fenwick has a benign cyst on the top of her head about the size of a shirt button, so I've been calling her Lumpy. George injured his back left paw, so I think I'll call him Limpy now.
George's injury was quite frightful-seeming yesterday morning. I brought him to the vet (45 minutes away. It was a day of taxi-ing people and animals around because of potential thunderstorms.) because we feared the worst when he wouldn't put weight on the leg. He would still limp around and I could touch the leg. Vet assumed it was his hip - either fractured or dislocated. After x-rays revealed that there is nothing wrong with his hips or legs, she noticed his ankle area was swollen. The ankle could only barely be seen on the x-ray (since they weren't aiming there), but she thought she could see the problem. The good news is it doesn't require $1000 surgery. I only wish she'd noticed his ankle was swollen before putting him through the x-ray (and required IV to keep him from moving). That explains why she couldn't feel any problems when moving his hip joint and why he was relatively okay with it. Probably the worst for him was that she was holding on to his leg to do it and may have been moving his ankle in the process.
I will grant I'm not a vet nor am I in any way familiar with their process of checking for injuries, but in hindsight it seems to me that perhaps she should have tested for an ankle injury rather than assume from the start that it was his leg and only check that. :( Could have saved a lot of money.
While that heals, George/Limpy has to be confined to where he can't jump. Most of the time I have him in the downstairs bathroom with his own litterbox, bed, food and water. Took him out for some cuddles last night on the futon. Right now he's resting in our room for some variety. The only jumping he does regularly is to get to the food dishes and up/down stairs. For now he gets the royal treatment of being carried up and down.
Fenwick/Lumpy is going to have to live with her cyst for a little while. I'm going to try to remove it naturally with heat packs, as recommended with the human equivalent. But who wants to be dealing with heat packs in this heat? It's not dangerous or anything. The worst of it is that it looks ick to me - but it's not pussy or anything really gross. Just a lump. The other solution is surgery to remove the cyst, but we'd of course like to avoid that.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed