Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Folk Fest Cookies

These cookies are an awful lot like my oatmeal, chocolate chip, coconut cookies (to which we also tend to add seeds). This recipe comes courtesy of my sister-in-law, the wonderful Corey. I don't recall where she managed to get the recipe for the Folk Fest Cookies - the same recipe used by Tall Grass Prairie (if you live in Winnipeg, you really should visit here weekly at least!) when they were selling these at Folk Fest. I seem to recall the recipe was published somewhere free. (So I hope I'm not infringing on cookie copyrights. If so, I'll just change the base to MY cookie base and add seeds...)
Folk Fest Cookies:

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown flax seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
chocolate chips (as much or as little as you like)

Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs, then vanilla, then water. Mix flour, baking soda, salt together and add to liquid mixture. Add {Corey forgot to add oats in the instructions. DOn't forget the oats}, flax seeds, then sunflower seeds, then coconut and chocolate chips. {Or whatever order. I just dump all that stuff into the batter and stir}. Chill for 30 minutes covered with saran wrap in the fridge. Measure out dough in heaping teaspoons onto a non-stick pan. Use a fork to gently press dough down (just enough to flatten the dough a bit) {I don't bother with that.} . Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. (While baking I will often stick the bowl back in the fridge to keep the dough cool and firm). {We like to use parchment paper to bake on.}

Corey has tried this one with margarine and butter and found that butter does make a really big difference to this recipe. The same is true of my similar recipe. Even so, I do often use margarine.

Easy modifications:
I always cut the sugar called for in cookies. That much sugar is rarely necessary. I just don't use full scoops - nothing very scientific in my measurements.
You could easily substitute maple syrup and remove the water if you were so inclined.
And I'm sure honey would work too for a healthier recipe.
I tend to use whatever seeds I have in my pantry. This batch included pumpkin seeds (which I pre-ground a little; or tried to), small black seeds (I forget... doubtful I would have bought poppy), and ground flax (because apparently I'm all out of flax seeds).
I substituted in a little bean flour. I find it helps keep the cookie from 'melting' when it bakes.
You could substitute carob chips or no chocolate at all. You know, if you wanted to...
And, of course, you could add crushed nuts, cut the coconut, etc.
Basically you can use whatever is in your pantry - assuming you stock things like seeds and nuts.

This recipe made almost 4 dozen cookies. But don't tell Robin that. Looked more like 3 dozen by the time he woke up. (JJish)

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed