Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm a Knitting DingDong

Since this is the "KNITS and notes" and I rarely blog about my yarn, I thought it time to show you some of my recent work and reveal what a ding-dong I can be!

After knitting the pieces flat, I folded the foot over and stitched together to make a pocket for my foot. Why should I look to see how other people stitch it together when this makes (non)sense to me?...
Obviously felting the slipper will magically transform it to a normal slipper shape that doesn’t look like a duck foot... WTF? Why does it still look like a duck foot?
Oh, well look at that. Instead of laying it this way with the skinny part at the top...
and folding that over horizontally...
I should have turned it 180 degrees...
and folded the two sides IN vertically...
then stitched it up...
THEN felted it...
In the end, after unstitching the felted slipper (fun!) and restitching it together, then felting again to try and get rid of the new stitch lines...
I ended up with a half-decent pair of slippers.
Good thing I was experimenting with my own pair.
Now you know how NOT to make a slipper.
Fortunately this was a very fast project and used up yarn I already had (hence why one foot is red and yellow instead of red and orange). It was something I could do while supervising Abigail walking around. I was so excited to actually be making something for myself!! (Instead of socks for my mom, sis, nephew, daughter and witch hats for charity.) I was incredibly upset when these first turned out like duck feet. Robin thought they were cute... I wanted my proper slippers! I wanted my little project for me!!

Next Post: Abigail walking. Or pop over to Flickr to see the uploaded photos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AH HA HA HAA! Too funny! I can't say I haven't made mistakes like that. Although personally, I think those duck-foot slippers are pretty dang cute. I was secretly hoping you would keep them like that. Think of it - dual purpose slippers. You could dust the floors while you walk and cover twice the surface area than you would with regular slippers.
And that Abby...so darn cute!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. Why don't you make the same happy accident on a pair of slippers for Abby? She'd look so cute in duck slippers!! Maybe a Samhain costume idea? :D

Lindsey said...

Too funny! What a great illustration the slide show is. And hey, at least you figured it out in the end...that's what counts.

What pattern did you use for these? I'm dithering between a few slipper patterns, but these look a lot like what I want. Oh! Found your project on Ravelry...question answered. :-) Thanks!

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed