Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Care Packages

Baby A. received her first care package yesterday. Aunty Corey has been bitten by the baby-shopping bug and sent the most adorable newborn outfits. Robin's favourite is of course the one that says in big bold letters: "I [heart] Daddy." Daddy's girl. Notably, there was no "I love mommy" outfit... ;) Actually, that's not quite true. The fuzzy sleeper has a mom and baby duck with "mommy and me" written underneath.
I modelled them on my tummy. I suspect they'll look even cuter on baby.

But Aunty Corey, A. has asked that you send her some baked goodies as well next time. I promise to feed them to her (indirectly...)!! She's a growing girl you know! And she has a sweet tooth like her momma and aunty.

We are going to have to get baby a dresser soon. We know what we want - just have to go find it. The clothes are coming in already - mostly hand me downs. But hey - baby clothes don't have to be new! Let that be a message for all who would shop for our baby. Do feel free to visit your local "gently worn" baby stores!! Every city has them. Baby clothes get so little wear - babies grow so quickly! Especially out of newborn sizes! Some clothes have never been worn. Don't ever feel ashamed to gift us with "gently used" items. I certainly don't feel ashamed to give them. I'd much rather reuse than buy new (cheap imports from China etc). In addition, the "gently used" shops are usually run by wonderful entrepreneur moms, so you are also supporting the local economy and a mom (instead of a big corporation). And for the price of one outfit at Baby Gap (or wherever) you can buy several at the local shop - including items that were originally bought at Baby Gap! So do pop into a local shop and keep in mind that the selections will change regularly. You'll be surprised at what great finds you'll discover every time. Many of these shops also carry fabulous hand-made items if you're interested - made by other moms.

That being said, I also completely understand that you will find yourself at some chain store looking at baby stuff, and you will be compelled to purchase that oh-so-adorable outfit. I won't hold it against you. I've done it. I just thought you should all know that gently-used items are very acceptable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mandy! I looked for an I heart Mommy sleeper as well, but the best I could find was the Mommy and me. (I did think that was a bit unfair).

Corey

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed