Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Evenstar

 If you follow the blog rather than the FB feed, you may have noticed a couple spiffy new widgets on the left sidebar that show my Ravelry FOs (that's "finished objects" for the non-knitterly/crafty folks) and WIPs (works-in-progress).  One of the pieces I am pleased to finally be finishing (slowly but surely) is my Evenstar Shawl.  I started this back in October. It's knit with a fine yarn on fairly small needles (3.25mm).  There was an extended period where I was tired of a very repetitious section that was taking forever - so I put the project aside.  I picked it back up again in April and eventually finished the main body by end of May.  Then I couldn't find the pattern for a while, got caught up with other lace shawls, etc, and here I am in almost-July finally working on the edging.

 As you can see, it's a heavily beaded edging. It's slow going. I'm aiming to work two chart repeats a night because I want to make sure it is finished in time for a September wedding. There are 56 chart repeats. That's 1120 rows and 2800 beads.  I've finished 9 repeats so far.
The shawl is unblocked, so the stitches are bunched together.  I've attempted to lightly open up the stitches in this last photo to give an idea of the finished look.  (I also managed to slide the needle out of several stitches while doing this, but was able to fix that with minimal difficulty.)

As I finish up this shawl, I'm much of the way through another circular-knit shawl.  The new one is a square shawl.  I'm working on the second last main body chart. There's probably another 20 row chart after that, and then the knit on edging (much as the above shawl).  The new mystery KAL (knit-a-long) shawl currently looks a little something like this (but with more rows since the photo was taken).  It follows the story of Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne.  In the photo below I had finished the "China" clue/chart (like dragon scales). Now I'm working on "Japan" (cherry blossoms). Also seen here is India, Egypt, and England.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed