Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, June 06, 2011

Burgundy, Teal, Copper

What an exciting morning of colour fun we've had.  I had three hanks of yarn that needed to be dyed for a special project.  I wanted one to be handpainted, one solid, and the other to be solid or semi-solid (but changed my mind after using this dye).
Given that my blue food colouring (in the little drop shaped bottles from the grocery store) is leaking and I'm low on food dyes, I decided we'd try out the Wiltons paste dyes today.
First things first, I started the three hanks soaking in vinegar water this morning.
After Abi woke we all headed out to Bulk Barn to choose some colours.
Our friend Maxwell who was helping us dye chose the colours. Burgundy, teal, and copper.  We all know what the special project is and that helped guide our decision.

At home we started by mixing up teal in the slow cooker to leave one hank cooking while we moved on to hank number two.
This was the fun hank! Hand-painted in all three colours!



After painting we wrapped it up in the plastic wrap and have left it to cook in the hot sun.


Meanwhile, the teal was setting nicely and ready to be rinsed, rolled in a towel and stepped on, and laid out to dry.

The teal and the hand-painted will be held together double to form the main body of the project.

There was still a fair bit of blue in the pot, so I freshened it up (by this point the kids were too hot to help as was the pot) and decided to immerse half of the third hank.  I noticed that the paste colourings were being absorbed as a solid colour and since the third hank will create a border, I didn't want just a solid colour.  This yarn will be held double using both ends.


And that's where we are by 1pm.  Here are  a couple of sneak peeks at the hand-painted while it's cooking in the sun.

Edited in the evening next morning (when the blogger uploader was finally working) to show the final yarns drying:

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed