Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Big Trip

Chicago Nov 1-3. I left that town soon before Obama was elected president, but I stood in the park where he was to give his speech.
I had a great time at the AAR attending sessions, talking with people, and making connections. We stayed in the swanky (as my roommate called it) Palmer House Hotel, but most of the conference was at the Hilton Towers just down the street. I rode on the subway/el between the airport and downtown. And I visited the Chicago Art Institute - well, the gift shop. They currently have a show of European tapestries, but the unicorn tapestries are not there, so I decided not to go. Otherwise, I didn't see much of Chicago because I spent my time at the AAR.
Meanwhile, back at home, and unbeknownst to me, Abigail was refusing to eat. She was okay on the first day, but by Sunday and Monday she was obstinately refusing foods and breastmilk and only occassionally accepting water. By the time I saw her Monday night she was definitely not herself. She nursed at the airport and again at home as we went to bed. That drained my breastmilk. Because while she was at home without breastmilk, I was in Chicago with too much! I was very sore. By Monday I seem to have reached an equilibrium, but Abigail's nursing disturbed that again. We're building back up to our normal routine, but the last three days have been exhausting! She wants to nurse only to eat still, but my production isn't up to full. She is very low energy, but is certainly improving. Since Sunday she has required constant holding, but today she played by herself for a short while.
To add to the "fun", our washing machine broke just before I left. Robin discovered this when he went to dry the diapers I had put in the wash before leaving. The washer seemed to be working fine then, but apparently they were not clean and the agitator is broken. Our new washer arrives Saturday morning and in the meantime we have washed a couple loads of diapers at a friend's. Our clothes will have to wait until Saturday. Laundry day for sure!

That's the excitement around here. Next year the AAR is in Montreal. Robin and I will be holidaying there while my mom and aunt babysit Abigail. They insist. So my goal for next year is to present a paper at the conference! By then I will have work to present - how exciting! :)

2 comments:

Megs said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I was in Chicago this past June with my sister and mom. i really enjoyed the week we had there.

Also if you want to pass on to friends/family in Winnipeg:
NONIA will be at the Signatures Craft Show & Sale. It is being held at the Winnipeg Convention Centre (275 York Avenue) from Thursday November 20th to Sunday November 23rd.
I'll be there, but will not have much time to wonder.

Good luck with the new washing machine, is it a front loader?

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you, and I hope that next year's annual meeting in Montreal will be less stressful.

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed