Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Belated Samhain note

I realize this is over a week overdue, but recent events call for this post.

First, let me share a picture of Robin and Abigail dressed up for Halloween:
Samhain 2008
Abigail went to daddy's work as a Green Witch. It seemed to match the Robin Hood outfit. And it is stuff I had on hand.

Later that day, Abigail and I joined friends and their little ones for a brief Samhain ritual and crafts. Abigail tried her hands at finger-painting and made some lovely art pieces that I plan to use as background in her scrapbook once I iron them out...

When we returned home, Robin and I enjoyed the dumb supper that Robin had lovingly prepared. Abigail was napping from the car ride. There were four places set at the table. Two for us, one for Marion, and one for Margaret. We invited Abigail's grandmother and great-great-grandmother to join us on Samhain during our silent meal in remembrance. Margaret had just passed over early that morning. As you may recall, we were fortunate to be able to have a five generations photograph with my great-grandmother who would have soon turned 96 years old.

In hindsight, the one being I did not honour this Samhain was Gryphon. Marion is always a part of our Samhain rituals and with Margaret's passing it seemed natural to include her as well. To be honest, I was feeling very rushed this Samhain as I prepared to leave for Chicago very early the next morning. I have honoured Gryphon's passing many times, and he will be honoured again when Abigail is older and I am able to speak with her about the significance of his passing. I imagine there will be a Samhain when we will be honouring Fenwick or Monkey - many years from now I hope - and we can include all of our four-legged loved ones.

The reason I thought to write this is that another of Abigail's friends has passed over - her playmate from this summer, Hudson. Hudson is her Aunt Corey's dog. Abigail loved him! She thought he was the funniest dog she had ever met. I think it was his talking that she liked best. He will be missed by many (except by cats). I trust that Rollee, his companion for many years, has welcomed him into the Summerlands (fields of grass full of rabbits to chase, bones to chew on, polls to mark, and hands to scratch).
two dogs are better than one
Abigail in doggy heaven with Hudson and Darla

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed