Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christmas Shopping

Alas, with Hallowe'en over, it is now the season of Santas, Christmas trees, coloured lights, and fake snow. Apparently Christmas season starts November 1st.
It is one of many reasons I prefer to celebrate Yule. You can't celebrate the winter solstice before the sun actually reaches its shortest period.
Some of my friends start decorating early. It's a choice. I'm simply sick of Christmas by the time Dec 25 rolls around. That's me.
I know many people are thinking about, starting, even finishing their holiday shopping. Me, I'm crafting my Yule gifts and I prefer to discover the perfect gift throughout the year when I happen upon it. Robin, he's a Christmas Eve shopper. I know my mom has half her shopping done because I received a phone call weeks ago inquiring whether we had X yet. My family likes to shop. I've tried very hard over the last few years to curb my shopping addiction (due to a lack of sufficient funds) and refocus on intent. Yes, that means you're getting homemade gifts! And it's not because I'm cheap. Just wait until you see what Abigail and I have planned.

This will be Abigail's first Yule and Christmas. I imagine people are going to become a little silly when they shop for her. It happens. So I've put together another of my annoying little lists.
As usual, we prefer no plastic.
We endorse gently used items.
We have some wooden blocks, but could always use more, especially building blocks (just bought some).
Wooden toys in general are great. (We have a bead-maze, a train, building blocks, shapes sorting box, and letter blocks).
We still love puppets and so will you when Abigail one day performs a puppet show for you.
Books are always welcome.
Kids music is welcomed! We have none.
Abigail has her own Amazon.ca account for books and music.
Musical instruments will be welcome so long as they are real instruments, not fake-sounding stuff. Of course I don't expect she'll be picking up a guitar soon. My point: if it's going to make noise, it has to be quality sound. I have a small hand drum she can play once she gets over the bite-everything stage.

Abigail has many clothes. I took inventory today. Read on if you care to know for reference.
12 Months / 18 Months / 24 Months/2T
Dresses 4 / 14 / 10
Pants 16 / 6 / 9
Shorts 7 / 0 (don't need any) / 9
Short Sleeve Ts 12 / 1 / 13
Short Sleeve onesies 8 / 8 / 4
Long Ts 9 / 3 / 0
Long Onesies 7 / 2 / 2
Sweaters 9 / 5 / 5
Sleepers 12 / 2 / 0 *need sleepers* Preferable button up both legs or two piece. All cotton.
Overalls 2 / 0/ 0
Swimsuit 1 / 2 / 0
Summersuit 0/ 4/ 0
Slippers and shoes / many / will still fit / will need footwear but waiting to see what style

There. As you can see, there are some things we definitely do not need more of! Like dresses. Keep in mind at 12 months it will be March (still wintery - Abigail was born in a storm - and transitioning to Spring). At 18 months it will be September. So far Abigail generally fits clothing that it her age, except for some brands that are ridiculously small! Like Gagou Tagou. Abigail is about 17 -18 lbs.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed