Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Abigail is Welcomed by Community

Saturday marked Abigail's introduction into a loving and supportive community of friends. We laughed, we cried (some of us), we ate. In all seriousness, it was a wonderful ceremony, if I may say so as the Priestess. However, it wasn't me that made it wonderful, it was everyone in attendance and what they shared with Abigail - their supportive presence, hugs, blessings, and a bead for Abigail's nursing necklace. Abigail was a happy girl. I barely saw her that day except when she needed to be fed or changed. She was too busy being loved by her community and I was happy to share her.

I kept the ceremony short and simple. After casting circle hand to hand I invoked the directions, their associated seasons, which Abigail will pass through in her first year of life, and community. Robin described how Abbie came to have the names Abigail and Marion (middle name) and I discussed her magical name given to her in the womb. I read Sherri's beautiful blessing written for Abigail before her birth and we then invited others to share their blessings. I had also requested that blessings be written down to be saved in Abigail's scrapbook. I've never requested this of blessings before (at my wedding and at the baby shower) and I have always regretted it. I get caught up in the moment of receiving and acknowledging the blessing - and at the end of the circle I've forgotten the details. I always remember the intention of each blessing because there was a token accompanying it.

Robin and I gave our blessings last. Robin blessed her with family and friends to guide her and the strength and independence to choose her own path. I blessed Abigail with friends in unexpected places and with a song. This is a song I learned in community many years ago when I was in theatre. It is a favourite of mine - a Pueblo blessing I learned from Barbara Poggemiller.*

Hold on to what is good even if it's a handful of earth
Hold on to what you believe even if it's a tree standing by itself
Hold on to what you must do even if it's a long way from here
Hold on to life even when it is easier to let go
Hold on to my hand even when I have gone far away
Hold on


Although it was not my intention, the song brought tears to many eyes. I successfully managed to hold back my own tears. Following the blessings, Abigail greeted everyone and received a bead for her nursing necklace. Circle was closed and we returned to socializing, making origami butterflies, and oggling Abbie. The kids played with butterfly gliders (good idea Mandy!).

It was a good day. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to take many photos, so I'm relying on those taken by friends.

*I just discovered that there is a FB group of her "devotees"!! This really shouldn't surprise me. Barbara Poggemiller is more than memorable - she is a force of transformation.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed