Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

teethes

The most recent visit to the dentist revealed that Abi has a cavity beginning in one of her molars. Damn you baby-tooth-decay! *grumble grumble* We're still practicing delay tactics - using the MI paste and fluoride gel, silica (homeopathy), brushing teeth, etc. She's been added to the 6 month waiting list for general anaesthesia in case she needs teeth pulled in 6 months. If not, she'll be removed from the list. We're hoping we can delay for longer, but I don't imagine we'll be able to delay tooth extraction until they're ready to fall out in several years. I can't imagine my little one, who so recently cut all her teeth, losing any :(
We learned over the holidays that my dad had 8 baby teeth removed. Here I was blaming Robin's British genes when it was mine all along.

It's frustrating to me because she's not a sugar-eating kid. She doesn't even drink juice. But, of course, all foods have sugars, and can be broken down into sugars. And, breastmilk has sugar too - and my baby loves her breastmilk. She's actually BFing more now that she was a couple months ago (when she's at home). It seems she's reached a point where she needs more mommy-comfort, and BFing is her favourite comfort.

Oh, and yes, I'm now Mommy.
Darn. I really liked being Mum - that one syllable. There was no transition period of Mum-my. Just straight to Mommy. Mommy and Daddy. Occasionally Momma even - although I'm sure she has picked that up from when I refer to myself as such in conversation with her.

Actually, a lot of words have inherited a "y" at the end (maybe a silent zed too...). I'm disappointed by that and I do avoid adding Ys, but I know many other people (adult and child) add the Y to words when talking to kids. Horse-y. Ducky. Doggy. You know the list. I purposefully prefer to use the real words (Horse, Duck, Dog) - but I'm funny that way and never used baby-talk either.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed