Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Friday, September 12, 2008

Book Launch

Abigail and I just returned home from a book launch for 3 great books by 3 amazing women in the Religion and Culture department at Wilfrid Laurier University. We were primarily there to support our good friend Chris Klassen whose book Storied Selves: Shaping Identity in Feminist Witchcraft was being launched. Also featured was Carol B. Duncan's This Spot of Ground: Spiritual Baptists in Toronto and Meena Sharify-Funk's Encountering the Transnational: Women, Islam and the Politics of Interpretation.
They throw a great book launch! The cakes were amazing. I tried 2 out of 3 ;) Entirely not on my list of foods to eat, but given that there was still a lot of cake left I felt I had to do my part in consuming it. You know, to make the organizers feel good. We're talking tiramisu and a chocolate mousse cake, not some generic white cake with too much frosting.

Attending events with Abigail is such a joy. She is usually well behaved. She loves people and enjoys watching them. She was feeling particularly social today and loved cuddling with one of my favourite UWaterloo profs Doris Jakobsh. It will be such fun to tell Abigail about all the academic events she attended with me as a baby. I hope I'm not setting the bar too high for her ;) I also got to see one of the wonderful women who started the PhD program with me. I hadn't seen her in several years. It was a good start to my weekend. Tomorrow I'm co-hosting a baby shower for our friends Tay and Mike. I'm excited. Another baby soon! Yes, soon I too can be one of those moms who says to my friend "I remember when Abigail was that small... and did that... it seems so long ago/it seems like only yesterday."

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed