Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Friday, August 08, 2008

Kings Park Labyrinth

One of the places we have visited while in Winnipeg is the Carol Shields Memorial Labyrinth in Kings Park (conveniently near the dog park for us). Check the link above for more information on this wonderful site. I just found the website, which has confirmed my assumption that plants are in the plan for the future. There is beautiful soil throughout ready for plants, but only a few places have perrenials while the rest is overgrown with weeds. As I walked the labyrinth I couldn't help but remove weeds from where people have obviously attempted to clean up a small portion and start planting. If I was here longer I would love to visit more often and plant a section. I encourage any of our Winnipeg friends to take a visit and maybe pull a few weeds too.
Marion's dragon boat team Chemo Savvy has purchased bricks for the team and for those team members who have passed away. You'll find her brick as you walk.

I previously mentioned that we went to the Zoo while here. Sadly, the polar bear was not out. We read in the newspaper the next day that the polar bear is dying at the old age of 41 years - the world's oldest polar bear. It will be another 10 to 15 years before our zoo gets another polar bear because, although Assiniboine Zoo previously set the standard for bear enclosures, it now must build a new enclosure to meet the required standards. Because Manitoba (Churchill mostly) is known for our polar bears, the plan is to build a polar bear education center (to educate humans, not polar bears). Needless to say, it is a large project and I imagine there will need to be a lot of fundraising first.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed