Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Friday, December 31, 2010

Preparing for a New Year

I have no special resolutions. I almost never make New Years resolutions.  The new calendar year always sneaks up too quickly.  Far too quickly after the holiday season in winter.  If I make resolutions, it's not at January 1.

I do, however, reflect upon the previous calendar year.  It's been "full" that's for sure.  Granted, isn't every year full of new delights, surprises, loses, changes, frustrations, drama... Some years it seems more so than others. This would be one of those years.  But I like to keep it all in perspective, especially when it can feel overwhelming.  The reality is, even with all the "bad" things, we have it good - my family and I. We have all the basics for survival - food, shelter, water, income; happiness.  And many extras (books, electronics, the occasional dinner out, toys.) And I have fiber (I can't decide if that's a basic necessity or an extra... depends on how you classify "sanity"- whether or not it is a necessity).  That is why you won't find me here dwelling on the overwhelming - I choose not to dwell. I like to shift my focus to the wonderful (and the less-overwhelming do-able stuff).

Here's to another WONDERFUL year.  (I'd raise a glass, but all I have with me is a mug of coffee. And this dark chocolate that I am not sharing.) (Do you like the blink? I know, it's annoying. That's part of the appeal to me :P  )

If you're wondering about our plans for New Years Eve, they're nothing special.  Try to get Abi to sleep and watch some movies perhaps.  (Lately I've had to stay with her until after 10 to get her to sleep! Every evening has been devoted to keeping Abi in bed and helping her fall asleep. What happened to the bedtime routine??) And tomorrow? Ummm, weather permitting (ie, if we get some snow back!) we could go tobogganing now that most of the family is over our colds.  Or ice skating.  That would be nice.  Abi went yesterday and I hear she didn't even need any support with her bob-skates.  J suggested she could upgrade to ice skates, but I don't foresee buying new skates this year.  Next year, in Winnipeg. (ah, sweet Winnipeg home... how I miss you.)

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed