Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, August 16, 2010

Funny Nose

Abi endured, with a smile, another adventure at the dentist's office. Today we introduced her to laughing gas in preparation for future fillings (involving needles, freezing, and drill work). She and I had talked a lot about this visit after the last one. We learned what "dizzy" feels like so she'd be prepared for the strange feeling of the nitrous oxide. We also practiced having a thing held over her nose by using an oxygen mask filter.
She didn't seem to mind not eating for 3h prior (I made sure to fill her up best I could with a very early breakfast of cereal and an egg just before the cut off time) and no drink for 2 h. That is, up until we were to have her sit in the dentist's chair. Then the fact that it was almost her nap time seemed to take effect. With a little coaxing and some generous promises and reminders of treats to follow, we got her to sit leaning back on me in the chair while they started with the gas. She fought it at first - not the mask/gas, but the being there - until the gas kicked in. Then everything was hunky-dory. She was quite delighted about the whole thing - laughing gas will do that. I was able to transfer her into the chair by herself, the dentist was able to apply some "bandaid" to her teeth (as the tech called it), and Abi smiled on. She really is very compliant in the dentist's chair. I'm amazed every time and I think the dentist and techs are too. She's probably better behaved than many adults. Certainly better than most of the kids I've walked past in that office, and they're all older.
I'll try to scan in the photos they took for her today with the mask on. They provide them as a tool to help talk with the kids and prepare them for the next time. I don't think the photos are necessary for Abi. I'm sure all I will need to remind her of is squeezing the "nose" (mask), which she did a lot. Squeezing it is one of the fun techniques used by the techs to convince the kids it's fun - and it works.
The plan for now is to do the same thing in 2 months. Another "introduction" to the procedure to get her really used to it before we try freezing her mouth for fillings. All of this is to keep the caries/cavities from worsening and spreading (although they are; just not as rapidly as without treatment). My poor baby :(

I am glad it is going well because the alternative is to do the procedure under general anesthesia at the hospital. I am also glad we have good dental coverage through Robin's work!

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed