Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mimic

I have this "thing" where I unconsciously tend to mimic speech and behavioral patterns. I can only assume it comes from moving around as a kid and was part of how I would fit in to new situations. Or maybe everyone does it. Certainly it has certain benefits for group identity and depending on what psychologists or sociologists you ask you'd get a different explanation. For example, I remember noticing in junior high how my friend used to walk with her palms parallel to the ground. Then one day I noticed I was doing the same (and I still do slip into that mode sometimes). It certainly wasn't intentional -I thought it was funny. When I lived in Newfoundland, I picked up several turns of speeches (some of which I am trying to rid myself of, like "where you to?" which bothered me to hear and I can't imagine why I would mimic it - perhaps I also subconsciously enjoy tormenting myself).
There are words and pronunciations I retained from when we lived in England and I'm sure there are other subtle things I've never noticed or had pointed out to me yet.

Lately I've been frustrated by my mimicking of Abi's speech. It is counter-productive! As you know, I don't believe in "baby talk" and we have always used regular words with Abi. Nevertheless, there are "baby" words she has picked up elsewhere. I know, for example, some of the kids at daycare and the park use them, probably either because they are used to baby talk or because they treat her like a baby. Words like "horsey" rather than "horse". (I know this is not how her daycare provider speaks.) Other things are her own experiments with phrases and sentences. Upon occasion I have caught myself mimicking Abi. So, when she is looking for a toy, such as a horse, I may accidentally say I found her "horsey" - using her words back to her. It is very frustrating to me! I still also catch myself refering to myself in the third person. Now that she clearly knows the proper uses of "you" and "me" and "I" and "your", etc, I think it's safe to eliminate phrases in which I refer to myself as mommy instead of I.

I expect there will be extra postings for the next little while as I become hyper-critical of my own single-parenting* and spending extra time with Abi (now that I'll be putting her to bed, which is about the only thing I don't do, so I suppose that's not much extra time).

*This is not a permanent state! Robin is going away for work.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed