Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

Are you superstitious?
If so, what is the significance of Friday the 13th? Don't try to look it up on Wikipedia. What is it to you? (You can look it up after and I even provided a link for you.)
Is it supposed to be scary - hence the Friday the 13th movies?
Is it a day of bad luck?
Wouldn't Monday the 13th be a better choice for a scary/bad luck/ just plain ol' shitty day? It is the start of the workweek. Well, for people who have a workweek (unlike those of us without a regular schedule who work over weekends).
How much extra upsetting it must be, if you are superstitious, to come to the holy day of the workweek (Friday) only to discover it is Friday the 13th and that, somehow, is superstitiously bad.
You see, I'm still not sure what the significance of the date is. That is, I don't think anyone ever told me what "Friday the 13th" means. I just know it's a "special" date and that, like the movies, it is associated with something that frightens people. As superstitions do. Does anyone have a clear sense of what the significance is?
As a kid, especially in my school years, Friday the 13th seemed like it would be a good day to party. If everyone thinks it is significant (in some vague manner), then what better excuse to have a celebration! To keep in the theme of being frightened, this best involves watching scary movies. Unfortunately, I've never liked scary movies. I hate things jumping out (at me), I dislike gore, and I've no interest in listening to girls scream. I'm certain that scary-movie aficionados could provide me with a list of things I might actually enjoy if I watched scary movies, but I'm still not interested, thanks.

In Abi news, if you hadn't noticed already there are new videos up at Youtube (you can see them on the blog sidebar too). Included is a very poor video of Abigail standing by herself. She has been doing this for at least a month now, but the camera is never around and by the time one could get it she will have sat down again. When I do have the camera, she instantly becomes more interested in it and the moment I put it out of sight she's standing again. Eventually I'll get a good video.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed