Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

6

I think we are done with new teeth cutting for a while now. Abi has cut her 6th tooth. For the most part they are still very close to the gumline. They grow much slower than I imagined. She is enjoying chewing on carrots and celery as well as her frozen teething soothers (which she still treats like toys to chew on rather than like pacifiers to suck on). She's happy so long as she has her homeopathic teething medicine. I prefer the Hyland teething tablets, but when we ran out so had the two stores I checked. The second store claimed they didn't sell well and people prefered the Boiron Camilia drinkable doses. I bought them, even though I would have prefered finding the Hylands, because we needed something until the stores restocked and I didn't have time to check every health food store. After trying the Boiron, I can say that I do prefer the Hylands tablets. The Boiron are much more expensive ($16 for 30 doses vs $11 for 125 tablets with 2 tablets per dose) presumably because of their packaging. They come in individual plastic doses. Such a waste of plastic. Abi has learned how to take her dose, but sometimes she fights it and spits it out. She never does this with the tablets. I'm not sure why some parents would prefer the Boiron, but I'll be sticking with the Hylands from now on. A few days later I did find the Hyland tablets. One of the features I like about the tablets is that I have some control over dosage. The Boiron packaging does not give adequate information, in my opinion, about dosage. It simply says to give one dose at "onset of crisis", but nothing about how often I can repeat the dosage. And what defines a crisis? Hylands suggests 2-3 tablets 4 times a day or, if very upset, 2 tablets every hour for up to 6 hours. I love that the Hylands warn parents "if your baby has been crying or has been very upset, your baby may fall asleep after using this product because the pain has been relieved and your child can rest." They should add that children should not be allowed to drive heavy equipment while using these tablets.

3 comments:

Heather Luna said...

thanks for info on tablets! so far we have only needed one dose of chamomilia 30c (tablet) once per day when elsie seems a different kind of upset... what teething soother are you using?

Mandyz said...

Heather, we are using the Nuby Gel Pacifier. Normally I am not a pacifier proponent, but it was a compromise I made for Abi and only because she is not dependent on them. Because she tends to bite on the frame rather than the silicone, I figured I might as well get a teething one I can freeze to maximize its effectiveness. She also enjoys a frozen baby washcloth, but they thaw very quickly.

Heather Luna said...

yes, the carrots thaw in elsie's mouth really quickly and then we see carrot in her poo! ;)

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed