Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, January 12, 2009

Do you call her Abi?

It has happened again. I find it a very strange first question. If you asked my child's name and I said "Andrew", would your next question be "Do you call him Andy?"
Many times now (a good dozen), when a stranger who is admiring Abigail's smile (yes, it happens often) asks her name and I say "Abigail" the very next thing they ask is "Do you call her Abi?"
"If I call her Abi, or if I wanted you to call her Abi, that is what I would say her name is!"
I've never actually responded with that, but it is tempting. Rather, I politely respond that, yes, we call her Abi also. Abi or Abigail.
I'm not offended, because we do call her Abi.
Still, it's an odd question, don't you think?
I would expect some commentary such as "that's a nice name" (which I do get) or "my granddaughter is also named Abi/Abigail" (which is also common since unbeknownst to us when we chose the name, Abigail seems to be a popular name lately). Maybe if we were talking for a while and you wanted to talk to my daughter you would ask if it is okay to call her Abi. Or you'd just do it anyways because, evidently, people automatically assume one calls Abigail Abi.

3 comments:

1strangefamily said...

People always seem to have some sort of opinion on names. I always get 'Shara? what's that short for?' umm, nothing.

Anonymous said...

yes, mandy. that's an odd question!

Teresa said...

We are often asked how we are going to shorten "Celeste". We aren't, not many short names you can make from Celeste- Cel? I suggested the name "Celie" to Mike (after the character from Alice Walker's "The Color Purple), but it makes him think of mattresses (i.e. Sealy).

When people ask if she has a short name, I often have the urge to say "Lester" with a straight face.

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed