Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Not Long Now

Not long now until Robin joins us.  A week and a bit.  Then our move will feel complete. (Okay, except for the not having our own home, etc.)
And not so long now until the twins join us. At least, I try to not focus on carrying these babies for several more weeks. Of course I want them to grow bigger in the womb, but it's a lot to carry around!  I recall with Abi I never had that feeling of "get this baby out of me" until I was ready to push.  This time around I'll be happy to have them out.

Let's focus on baby news, since there's not much new and exciting in my activity.

I met with my new OB last week and cried at the end - with joy. It was an amazing, positive experience.  I couldn't be happier.  It certainly further justified this move.  We spoke of options - such as drugs, including an epidural, being optional! And there are alternatives to lying on my back in stirrups. And I'll be able to move around within the room.  And while I'm not looking forward to the "birthday party" of people present in the room, I'll deal with it  There will be Robin and I, doctor, probably resident, anaesthiologist and possibly resident, a couple more people per baby, and a scrub nurse in case of emergency.  Oh, I suppose a nurse for me too.  My OB is aware that I had a natural homebirth with Abi and was very respectful of that and my desire to have something approaching that... within the boundaries of the high-risk birthing room of course.

I had my first ultrasound here yesterday and it was quite different from my experiences in Ontario.  There was nothing wrong with my fetal assessments back in Ontario, but I think I prefer them at this location (which is not necessarily the same across the city).  The only thing I miss is that you don't get free pictures here.  (I have plenty from Ontario already.)  However, you do get to watch the scanning during the entire ultrasound and your partner (and kid, etc) can also be in the room the entire time. Since Robin is not here, my mom was fortunate enough to be able to attend with me (and Abi).  Immediately following the U/S, the nurse reviewed the findings to make sure she got everything needed, and the doctor on site looked them over. Then they provide immediate feedback!  The doctor wanted to check on something further, so she came in herself and did the scan.  Then we talked about what she was looking for.
As before, there is concern over the growth difference between Earb (A, first in line for a vaginal birth, the smaller) and Iongantas.  Let me emphasize that both are doing very well right now!  However, the doctor is concerned over an atypical problem called "TAPS", which is somewhat like the TTTS.  Both babies have good amounts of amniotic fluid.  TAPS is a condition where one baby receives "thinner" blood (that would be Earb) and the other "thicker" blood, which can be determined by measuring the viscosity of the blood flow.  So, Earb is at risk of becoming anemic and Iongantas is at risk of... the opposite of anemia which has a fancy name I can't pronounce (polycythemia).  We'll be keeping a close eye on this - as I expected would happen with the more typical TTTS if it became an issue. I have another ultrasound this Thursday (and an OB appt on Friday).  As I've said before, the safety of the twins will be evaluated on a regular basis. At this point, we're past 32 weeks.  Every week and day hereafter that they can stay in the womb to grow is good, but they would do well, I'm sure, if they have to come out early. (I'm hoping Robin can get here first without having to hop on a plane.  Certainly it seems that will not be an issue at this point.  He'll be home soon.)

I've tried to find some info like "TAPS for dummies" equivalent to the common info one can find about TTTS, but all I've found are abstracts from medical journals.  The above is my own poor attempt at explaining it.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed