Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Friday, January 13, 2012

Wee Hats and Bigger Hats


After knitting my Juneberry Shawl following Christmas, I had a wee bit of the lovely Briar Rose yarn remaining. It took me a few days, but I eventually realized I should knit a newborn hat with it! So I did. And when I was finished there was still a tiny bit more remaining, so I knit a complimentary hat using it for stripes. The blue is Cascade 220. The second ht is deliberately NOT IDENTICAL. In addition to being striped, I added an i-cord knot at the top.  Alas, this purple-y yarn does not photograph well (with my camera and poor lighting).


I also had this bulky Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky that someone on Ravelry sent to me (emptying their stash) when I was buying some fibre from them. This whipped up quickly into a hat that I had no intention of keeping (really not my colour), but Abi insists it is hers. It's big for her.


This is my hat, but Abi's a cuter model (especially in her fairy outfit from Santa). I had bought this delightful Misti Alpaca yarn many years ago when a local yarn shop was closing. I had two lovely hanks and one became a cowl for Abi with some of it being added to her blanket.


The pattern is called Cute Snail Hat and is actually written in Japanese. However, the symbols are standard for knitting and enough Ravelers have worked on it that there are plenty of helpful instructions in English if you search the projects.  I showed off my hat at the local Knitters Guild meeting on Tuesday and had a lot of people admiring it after.  It's fun to knit because it's a simple parallelogram knit flat with alternating stockinette and reverse stockinette.  The long sides are seamed up and one end of the 'tube' is pulled together to become the top.  Simple and cute.  It can also be more slouchy if you don't roll the brim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta tell ya, your mother really likes the one you had no intention of keeping, so if Abby changes her mind.........
Luv Ya

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed