Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

October Celebrations

Only a few more days until Robin's birthday and then Thanksgiving.
We have few plans. Robin wants to visit the Brick Brewery in town again and we are having his cousins over for Turkey Dinner. (Less the whole Turkey)
However, we just realized that Octoberfest begins this weekend as well, so birthday celebration plans may change - perhaps an upgrade :)

I think I already mentioned that Robin has a great 8-4 M-F shift now.
My fall TA job is (compared with the past few TA jobs) quite simple this term - grade about 50 short reflection papers a week.
Plus, this job pays me monthly. I'll save you the dramatic story of how pissed I am about my summer TA and how they screwed me out of ~$500 this month... (Money I had to give to the government instead, so at least it is retrievable for me next spring. I already sent letters to human resources and the college that hired me about this. I don't expect anything will be rectified.)

Fenwick is officially ours now. She is still in hiding from Darla much of the time, although she has no reason to hide. She'll let me bring her from her 'bed' in the storage area, and will cuddle with us on the couch, with Darla at my feet, but eventually Fenwick runs back to the other side of the basement.

My sister finally sent me photos of her preggo-bump. She looks so cute :) They think I will have a nephew... but in BC the nurses cannot tell you. I made her a wrap for baby carrying.

I have a lot of gifts to start (and finish) making...

But first I have to finish my grant applications...
Right after I make myself some coffee...

OMGs - I almost forgot to post photos. It's been so long since i posted pictures for you.

This was my Japanese Quince in full bloom this summer.
Occassionally these also bear fruit. The conditions must have been right this year.
The fruit look like small ugly apples. Eventually they ripened.
I picked them and plan on making Quince jelly. Quince already have a lot of natural pectin, so all you need to do is boil them, mush 'em up, strain the pulp, boil the juice, and seal it in a jar.
I can do that...
Also doing well this fall are my morning glories. These are my favourite flowers and I was lucky to be gifted with seeds from a friend in the summer. I hadn't thought of planting any because I do not have a trellis for them. The flowers loved their spot on the deck in the sun. Next year I will get a long planter along the deck and would like to attach a trellis atop the railing for added privacy. Now that the tree is gone, the view to the next street is very open.
Indoors plants have also been doing well. Here is the Shamrock(s) a friend gave me in August. Here they are about a month later!
Look how full and blooming! My first indoor plant to bloom with flowers!! (Baby Rubber has grown its "flowers" several times, but they're just pollen covered sticks.)
awww. Look - like Mimi, the Shamrock sleeps.
Goldfish are about to bloom also! Yay!!
Didn't I tell you about the Goldfish plant? Yep, goldfish grow on plants. I'll show you when it has finished growing. There are two other buds. I've been feeding it extra vermicompost fertilizer.
Have you seen the Vermicompost? Well I took a picture the other day.
Freshly fed worms. All the brown is compost - it is like rich brown earth. No, it is not smelly at all. Yes, I need to give them new beddings and remove all that compost... I told you I am a poor vermicompost keeper. But the worms don't seem too upset. Their mini ecostsystem is functioning just fine.
Look how simple the bin is too... Rubbermaid witha few holes in bottom, boot rack beneath it for excess water, and lid (with holes).

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed