Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Garden Goodies

Let me begin by admitting that my garden isn't as lucious as I was hoping for. Actually, in comparison with vegetable gardens my firends have, it's quite sparse. Next year will be better now that I have some experience.
So let's see what I have


Tomatoes are not yet ripe. These will be my largest. The rest, scattered throughout the plots, are smaller varieties such as cherry and romano (my preferred tomatoes).


Here is the one delicious zucchini that has grown so far (there are more on the way). I picked it right after taking this photo. Then I baked it into a chocolate cake! As I said, delicious.


Looking tasty. Here's a pepper I did not grow from seed :( But for the record, the tomatoes and zucchini above (as well as the beans and herbs pictured here)I did grow "all by myself" from seed. And I am very proud of that fact!


See the large patch of overgrown herbs... I really must harvest this stuff... but it's just been too hot and humid until recently to even consider, plus the mosquitos are a deterent. I've got a lot of parsley, basil, oregano, mint and thyme. Behind the herbs I planted is a whole lot of coltsfoot. I finally found a use for this rhizome... since I can't get rid of I should put it to use. I have a friend finishing up a herbalist program and she is happy to take it off my hands. I gathered a few leaves (just 40, and I mean "just" because there is much more where that came from. Note that these are very large leaves.) for her yesterday and I think she'll be coming back soon to harvest the rest with me from the bottom of the slope. She can dry it and use it for cough suppresants and such. Apparently you can also make a wine from the leaves.


And, finally, here are some beans that I picked but have not yet eaten. Perhaps a snack for later...

That's all the exciting news from the garden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kitchenerians,

I like the garden! What's new? Aside from packing and getting ready for the move not much is happening around here.

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed