Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, March 14, 2011

not all dyeing yields desired results

"Every skein is sacred.
Every skein is great.
If a skein is wasted..."
you know the rest (or should. and if you don't - your own loss)

I found myself singing this as I hung some recent dye experiments to dry.
It started with some blues and pinks-purple needed to finish Abi's new shawl.  The results of the first batch were lovely and what I expected from Abi's colours.  They  were used for the picot bind off.
Sharing some love
The large section of blue near the bottom is my handspun yarn :)

Remember the yarn Abi and her friend dyed? It was knit up into these:

However, not all of our yarn experiments are equally lovely.
Yesterday proved that...

Abi wanted yellow. It took a while of being dissatisfied with the resulting pale yellow to add a drop of red to make it darker / visible. For the last skein I thought I would transform the yellow dye bath into some orange. There was still plenty of yellow left from trying to make it darker. Maybe adding a drop of the neon pink wasn't a great choice. It didn't matter how much red I added after... the skein is doomed to be crazy-bright.
No idea what I'll do with these...

And then there's this pink and blue in the same yarn base.

It's rather meh in my books.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed