Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, March 07, 2011

3ft in 3 years

In dawned on me this afternoon that Abi was due to be measured. So I pulled out the tape measure and the cardboard length I'm visually keeping track on.  She's just over 3ft tall. Checking the WHO height for age charts, I see she's in a low percentile, which doesn't surprise me considering she's always been in a low percentile, especially for weight - which I haven't checked lately. What I find more surprising is when people say she's tall. I think people forget what size kids are.
Today we were out with her birthday balloon. Inevitably, many people asked her how old she is today - but first they guessed four years.  Of course, she happily chatted at them and informed them she is three. And that now there's no more nursing for her.  <-- yeah right.  We returned home and guess what she was asking to do within half an hour.  Nevertheless, there is now a base for weaning.

In celebration today, Abi and I went to the Stone Crock for a late breakfast. Abi had a huge pancake - which is why we went out.  We also went shopping for sun glasses. She's been asking for a pair for months.  I kept suggesting she wait for her birthday.  However, since she didn't receive any for her birthday, we used some of her birthday money on a pair that she chose. They are pink and sparkly with yellow-green arms. Very flower/spring in colour.  Before finding the glasses at the mall (in Zellers), we tried shopping in St. Jacobs. It was a lovely sunny day for walking around.

Yesterday was her big party - full of friends.  There were many balloons. Plus one giant balloon that Abi eventually popped playing with (thankfully; there was no way that thing was coming home) and a special helium balloon - which she carried around today.  There was also delicious food (thanks to Robin) and a tasty chocolate cake (if I do say so myself).  I had some party games ideas, but the kids just played happily by themselves. There was much running and noise.  All in all, I'd say it was a successful party.

Abi's already looking ahead to the next family birthday - mine.  I made a circle calendar for her a couple months ago, marked the seasons, months, etc, and everyone's birthdays.  Each birthday is colour-coded - mostly for decoration when I did it, but the colours have also helped her memorize whose birthday is when. So she knows last month was Dorion's birthday, that hers came next, and that around here mine is next.  Later this month is the conglomerate of her Nana's, Grandpa's and Aunty's birthday (on the 21st and 23rd).  She'll point on dad's birthday on the other half of the circle. And Pa-Pere's and Coreys too.
According to Abi, there will be kids and adults at my birthday. Darn, I was hoping for no kids :P

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed