Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another Beautiful Summer Day

I realize some people are lamenting these cooler summer days, but I love them. I would rather throw on a cozy hoodie to block the cool breeze than sweat in a humid heat and hide in my house out of the sun. Abi also much prefers these cooler days when I feel comfortable letting her play outside. She's going to love Autumn!
This morning she took Darla for a walk. Yes, Abi walked Darla (with a little help from me). She insisted not only that we take Darla on a walk (with her usual method of finding the leash and trying to put the Halti on Darla), but that she hold the end of the leash (while I held it in the middle at our short-leash knot). It was adorable. As an added bonus, Abi wasn't wandering off on the walk.
After the walk and some lunch for Abi, we drove out to New Hamburg to meet Connie at Meme's Cafe. Delicious! Abi had a well-deserved nap, and I had a wonderful lunch. Next we popped into Shall We Knit, a LYS conveniently located in New Hamburg. I picked up some sock yarn as well as some "leftovers" ends of Koigu for Abi's Leftovers Blanket. You see, I had this idea a couple weeks ago to use up my fabulous sock yarn with a pinwheel-style blanket. I imagined it would grow over time. I quickly ran out of leftovers... Buying a full skein or ball of yarn just for the blanket would defeat the purpose of a leftover blanket, so I either need to churn out more socks and wait, wait, wait to work on the blanket, or... Needless to say, when I noticed the small "leftover" skeins I snapped up a few. They are leftovers of a form (from winding skeins) - just not from my socks. By the end of the blanket I'll certainly have to buy full skeins because as it grows the circumference will be very large and leftovers might not make more than one round, if that. So far it has a radius of 10". If I aim for a 30" radius, that means I'm 1/3 of the way finished, right? SHHHH. No math please. Leave me alone in my deliberate fantasy.

After New Hamburg and dinner at home, we headed to Waterloo Park to join fellow knitters. While Abi spent 3 hours (!!!!!) playing on the slides, I knit 7 rounds on the blanket and used up one whole "leftover" skein. Granted, my knitting was slowed by the fact that I was walking around a play structure for 3 hours, but 7 rounds and a leftover skein in 3 hours is not a lot. Abi had a blast. While other kids and their families came and went, Abi played on - always excited by new kids arriving.

While Abi and I played, Robin was out Geo-Caching with a buddy after work.

Tomorrow we're going to visit a friend's new home. If the rain holds off I imagine we'll walk the dog, maybe play a little ball in the yard, chase Abi around... same old, same old.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed