Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

First Steps

Oh crap. It has begun. One day Abigail is refusing to walk, the next she's sneaking across the room when I'm not looking. Makes me wonder how long she's been doing this for ;)
In the last week or so she has finally decided to take a few steps as she moves between supports to hold on to. Apparently she's decided it's not worth her effort to drop down to her knees, crawl a few steps, and then stand up. I phrase it that way because for a long time now she has preferred to crawl because it is faster and it gets her to where she wants to be. Why try walking when she can get there efficiently on her knees?
However, we have watched a friend's two year old for two full days in the last couple of weekends and I wonder if he has modeled the efficiency of walking for Abi. One day last week she took a couple steps from the gate to me and would repeat this action if I made her. On the weekend she took about 3 steps all by herself while playing at a birthday party. Today I was able to capture her taking a few steps to me on video. A few hours later I was making lunch in the kitchen and from the corner of my eye I noticed Abi moving across the living room from the coffee table to her highchair. At first it seemed normal. Then, it hit me, just as when I watched her first crawl on all fours, that this was NOT normal for her. The table and chair are a few feet apart and she was walking between them as if this was normal for her. Now my little video of her taking a couple steps into my arms seems insignificant. (I'll edit and post it anyhow).

In the meantime, some recent photos:
Playing at a party
Abi at a birthday party. She got that little scratch on her cheek when she fell down trying to walk. Perhaps you can also see the mark above her right eyebrow where Darla thwacked her snout into Abi accidentally.

Pretending it is summer
Last Friday I pretended it was summer and dressed her up in several summery outfits (she peed on most of them while playing diaper-free. It will be nice when she can play outside.)
Cruisin'
Yay for Sun!

She has been teething hard again lately and is very clingy.
Clingy

That's about all for now. I'll try to get some videos up soon. First I need to finish grading papers.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed