Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Gardening - at long last

Finally we had time to begin the backyard vegetable gardens! See:

I carefully measured and plotted the gardens. I chose companion plants and all that good stuff. Robin laughs that I spend more time planning than gardening.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A month or so ago I turned over all the sod in the future gardens. The surface was dry and sod was dead by now. However, beneath the surface is still much good activity :)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Robin picked up half a pallet with some good boards from the landfill today. He cut them in half and dug them into the ground. It's not the best, but it will do. We still need another wall in the middle. And the same for beds D-E. He also picked up a big bin of free compost. Next year we'll be able to use our own.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Yay - at long last - plants in the garden!! I added some of my extra-special worm compost for the tomatoes (and peppers). I didn't have enough to simply cover the garden with, so I'm using it selectively.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


For now I'm using those small planks to walk across the garden.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Woot! More plants. I grew those marigolds from seed. Please do not compare them to the marogolds you can buy at the store. I know how pathetic mine look. Shush.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I had been growing my own peppers and tomatoes from seed, but I fried some and the rest just didn't develop well. So I finally just bought some plants! Next year I'll skip growing them from seed. It's just as cheap and much easier (for the amount I need) to buy the plants.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Beds D and E will eventually have broccoli, lettuce, cucumber and more. Hopefully very soon. Particularly the broccoli since I started it indoors.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




That was our day today as well as the culmination of many months of planning on my part. I can't wait to show off photos later in the season! Well, assuming things go as planned and I don't kill everything.

1 comment:

Megs said...

Well your braver then I am. I have come to the conculsion that I have the equivalent of a black thumb. Anything I try to grow dies. Good luck with your garden - I love that you did all that planning!

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed