Quote of the Now

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do
Rumi

Monday, January 07, 2008

Grumpy!

I want my diapers and I want them last Friday when Canada Post was supposed to deliver them (according to the email sent to me by Canada Post). At the latest the package should have arrived today, according to CP's shipping standards (I looked it up). When I called CP to inquire further I was informed it has not been scanned since it was mailed and it must be intransition (duh!). However, only the sender can track the parcel. I think this is ridiculous, and I've already sent CP a complaint stating so. As far as I am concerned, the sender (Parenting by Nature) and I completed our business transaction when they entrusted my package with CP. I should not have to ask them to track the package for me. They are a busy company, and now I have to wait for them to find time to track the package and reply to me. I should just be able to do it myself since CP did send me the item number for delivery. Needless to say, I'm not impressed and am subsequently grumpy. I was looking forward to my colourful diapers arriving on this gloomy day that follows a series of gloomy, gray days. (May as well be on the coast with this weather!)

I was hoping to be able to post something more upbeat today! For example, I recently joined a yahoo group with other women (I've not seen any male names) who make wool soakers. They share patterns, revisions, reviews of yarn, and other ideas related to wool soakers (and subsequently, cloth diapering). I'm trying out two (so far) of the wrap style soakers in newborn size (since that's the quickest/smallest) using wool I have leftover from other projects and sales. I've realized that I can probably avoid buying cloth covers altogether if I make enough wool soakers and wraps. Surprisingly, this would actually work out cheaper. For example, some of the wool I am using I picked up at Sally Ann for a dollar. Even a new ball of commercial merino yarn is about $5 at Len's Mill and makes more than one wrap. The wraps in particular are very quick to knit up. I think I'll try a couple more of the patterns provided by the yahoo group as "test" pieces. Already I have some ideas for how they could be tweaked, but I need to a) try them on baby and b) have a reference to base my adjustments on. I can't believe that about a year ago I had just started knitting and had no yarn stash... I never imagined I'd be making my own pile of wool soakers. That seemed far too complicated compared with rectangular blankets.

There is a woman in the local barter-works who makes cloth diapers. I saw her wares at Queen Street Commons once, but they've sadly cut down on the amount of items they display in there now. Unfortunately, one has to be a barterworks member to find out how to contact other members. I considered joining before... but what do I have to offer for barter?... Wool soakers :) Maybe once I've found a pattern I can work with well.

No comments:

Too Big for My Skin

FB Blogfeed